Welcome To All Our Favorite Holidays

You Have come to the right place to read great stories and see terrific video of all your favorite holidays!

Monday, October 15, 2012

An Iron Rich Treasure Nestled in the Midst of Morgantown Bucks County

 
 

Sometimes when you over schedule yourself and try to get too much done in a short period of time you can be a victim of your own judgment. I am not saying I was using bad judgment this past Saturday. I am saying I was almost a victim of it. Nothing gets my blood flowing more these days than the customs and history of America from its birth through the eighteen hundreds. To me there is something very romantic about how these people lived, loved and celebrated and yet lived hard productive lives as well a colonized and created nation.
 

To think I almost stayed home and worked! Blaspheme I tell you! It could have been a personal disgrace to miss this even!
 

As I forgive myself to think that I almost missed out on a special day going to a unique and historic village operated by a private foundation. Anybody who has visited Williamsburg Virginia knows the difference between a State, National historical foundations and private historical society means in the story by history and living history by interaction.

A strong faith in God was a huge factor in the success of Early and Colonial Americans in the twilight of our country, but it was the strength in the core respect they had for family, community and country with every member of the family helping each other to raise their standard of living. The Joanna Furnace is one of those quaint places in American history that provided Iron products for the settlers forming our nation and supplies to use during the Civil War.

We know at Holiday specialties religion plays a big role in many of our holidays but the customs are just as important as a way of celebrating and rechanneling our thoughts while enjoying life. After all this is the whole idea of a Holiday or Sabbath day to rejuvenate the mind and soul as well as the body and the spirit.

After visiting the Historic Joanna Furnace this past Saturday I had a reminder of how it was to live in the seventeen and eighteen hundreds as well as how they celebrated the Autumn Harvest. I also found a place I would like to visit more often and become a member.
 

Attending festivals like the Hay Valley Creek Apple Festival is a wonderful day out for families, the young and old as well as those who are starting a their relationships and future. There is something about seeing and celebrating the wealth of the harvest where you look back and appreciate how our ancestors worked as well as played. This festival at Joanna Furnace is a modern festival as well as keeping the tradition of the Autumn Celebration with interesting exhibits of the past with hay rides and a Flea Market of the present day. Oh! I cannot get away without mentioning the food with Pennsylvania Dutch flair and some modern day favorites too. I have attended many festivals and the Hay Creek Apple Festival at the Joanna Furnace is truly one for you to attend as well for my family and me to look forward to in the future.

Rich in history with the hospitality of a truly dedicated staff and membership made for a very pleasant afternoon on a beautiful October Saturday in the Historic Berks County Pennsylvania.
 

Find out more about the Historic Joanna Furnace visiting the Hay Creek Valley Historical Association @ www.haycreek.org
 
The Soup of the day at the festival was Chicken Corn Noodle. In this video you can see this is a Chicken Noodle Vegetable Soup. (Sure not like Canned Soup) This is very close to the way I make my soup. The only difference is i pre cook and cool my noodle so they do not get mushey in the broth or while storing the leftovers. When adding your chicken add two cans of Green Giant Nibblets or three cups of frozen corn and let simmer for a few minutes then add your noodles. Great Treat on a Chilly Day!
 
 
Great Cooking and Gift Ideas
 


No comments:

Post a Comment