Welcome To All Our Favorite Holidays

You Have come to the right place to read great stories and see terrific video of all your favorite holidays!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Giving Tribute to Those Who Have Served or have been Injured in the Name of Freedom


For most of us it is just another typical day. For some of us it is just November 11th. It is noted on the calendar but not everyone has the day off and many don’t seem to care.


Unlike September 11th as a day of reflection Veterans Day is a day of tribute to all those that have served in our Armed Forces. When we celebrate Memorial Day we are remembering those who have paid the highest price in the name of freedom. Some Veterans say that only the fallen are the heroes. Even though I would honor what any Veteran who may say that, I truly know in the back of my mind it is not so. My father who served in Northern Japan at the close of World War II and in Korea as a member of the 11TH Airborne is still a hero to me. My Father-in-law who was a Training Sergeant in the 82ND Airborne during the Korean War is a hero to me. My father was a Jump Master who made sure everybody in the drop zone jumped from the plane including officers saving lives. If members of his platoon missed the jump zone there were many ways his platoon members could have perished. And, no one except the pilots were exempt from the jump, no one. My father-in-law as a Training Sargent saved many lives as he prepared men not only for combat but how to jump from a plane into a combat zone. My father-in-law never left American soil but he did as much as anyone could do to save lives in the combat zone. And, many men came home from Korea as a result of his training and expertise.


Being a member of the Sons of the American Legion I have the honor of knowing many stories of bravery. When I can help with the Veterans Day Activities at the Post but I will never know the honor of serving. At least I know more about serving  than most with the honor of having friends and family who have served. I have heard the stories of bravery in the combat zone or being attacked in the combat zone. I have heard a story of someone who spent whole nights guarding over his encampment as they slept as a lookout one hundred yards from camp in a combat zone with the enemy somewhere in the area. He is not brave and he is not a hero? I could live an entire life and know that as I honor those individuals I could never stand in their shoes or be just like them.

When you go through the day on Veterans Day try to attend a Ceremony, find a Veteran and shake his hand. Go to a V A Hospital and listen to someone who needs a listening ear. Hear a story of bravery. Tell a Veteran Thank You for his or her service. They were here when we needed them with their call to duty and they are the reason our country is safe and free today.  


On Memorial Day we give our hearts to those heroes who have paid the highest price. On this Veterans Day give Tribute to those heroes who are still here with us. No Veteran should feel forgotten on Veterans Day!

This Blog Post is Dedicated to All My Friends at
The American Legion Bateman Gallagher Post 668
Wayne, Pennsylvania

Visit American Legion Bateman Gallagher Post 668
and follow us on Facebook by Clicking Here!
My Deepest Gratitude To All Who Have Served!

We want to hear from you and your fondest memories and tell the world of your favorite places and activities as a guest writer. This way we can post it and offer free advertising to many family businesses or events Foundations and Charities. For more information e-mail me @ blaine@scottysspecialtyshack.com
Stay updated on every time we have a new Post. You will find the e-mail sign up on the sidebar on your right.

The e-mail sign up is a service provided by Google and Feed Burner.
Come back to us by remembering this web-address www.HolidaySpecialtiesBlog.com or Bookmark this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment